Sunday, July 5, 2009

The "Big Free Trend'

I have been reading lots of advertisement on local sale website or service offering website about photographers working for very low fares or people looking for "student" or photographers looking to build their portfolios.

I find this pretty funny how so many people have no respect what so ever either for themselves or for the photography profession. I have always had one way of thinking. Never work for free since your bill needs to be paid! I understand that new photographers need to build their portfolios but this is not the way!

Why? When you book for a low commission (see losing money when all is accounted for) or for free, how are you going to justify your rate increase to the referred client?

I have always refused free wedding assistant's or second shooters. Why? I value people that respect themselves enough and also know the value of their work! I am trying to give them the opportunity to learn, grow and make a business on their own. I feel a lot of pride when my assistant tells me that I need to find a replacement since he has a wedding on his own!

I am lucky enough to be working for clients that respect my profession, my filed and me to pay a reasonable amount for my services! These clients value Art and authenticity.

I just felt like thanking all my client's of have made my dream possible. To my future clients, I say, Thank you for respecting me and my art!

Keep on shooting!

Sébastien D'Amour - International Wedding and lifestyle photographic artist

1 comment:

SLavallée said...

... and we all know that there's still some people around here that still know how to show that respect! Thanks Seb for sharing this, I'll see you the 18th!