Monday, January 19, 2009

A new tip about photography.

Hi everyone, 

Here is a new tip about photography. The tip is not technique or equipment oriented.

You need to understand when you are taking the picture of important people that you have to be quick and efficient.

This morning I had another portrait session of an important man in the EDC of Canada. I took the images of him in a meeting room in the building. The client required the image to be taken on a white background. This way they will be able to easily cut the person in question if they choose so.

Here is why you need to practice a lot before you adventure in this type of work. I took the images in 10 minutes and I had a total of 30 minutes for setup, portrait session and replacing everything back in order.  I took 6 images of the Ottawa Economist in question. In all I took 23 minutes of time from the press attaché of Mr. Peter Hall. We had fun, we laughed and we accomplished the work in less time then ask for.

I learned this lesson early while reading about my favorite journalism photographers and while working in the media.

Here is another example of the speed required in some portrait session. I was asked to take the portrait of the City mayor in my home town of Gatineau, Québec for a local magazine. I went in with my assistant and did my setups with him for a model. I was ready ahead of schedule and I did 5 portraits of the Gatineau City mayor in 7 minutes. The press attaché and the Mayor were very grateful for the extra time that was suddenly added to their agenda. They had schedules for 45-60 minutes.

I will quote a photographer that I look up to.

"Always underpromise and overdeliver" Chase Jarvis

I wish you a great day, 

Sébastien D'Amour - wedding and lifestyle photographic artist

No comments: